July 14, 2008
Calling all Carbon Special Agents
KAIROS is developing an exciting and challenging new program, the Carbon Sabbath Initiative (CSI), which will be launched in the fall of 2008. CSI is a way for groups of people within congregations or other community settings to come together on a regular basis to:
- Look more deeply into the issues of climate change, particularly on how the use of fossil fuels in our culture contributes to global warming.
- Reflect on how our faith is related to the issues of climate change and justice.
- Commit to personal lifestyle changes that will reduce our carbon footprints by tracking carbon use in our everyday lives.
- Support each other in our efforts to make a difference in their learning and in our commitments.
- Engage in a community effort to impact our churches, communities, and /or government.
KAIROS will be launching the program with cross-Canada leadership training in the fall of 2008 and winter of 2009. These leaders will then return to their communities and start CSI groups there. KAIROS will continue to offer support by developing appropriate resources and action plans, as well as enabling ongoing communication among the CSI groups.
For more information, or to signal your interest, contact:
Dorothy McDougall, Program Coordinator for Ecological Justice