An Advent 2021 resource
Designed to be used as a daily reflection received in your inbox, or for group study as an entire booklet, Thread of Hope ties together a diverse array of writers, viewpoints and activities.
Each week of Advent begins with an illustration by Latvian artist Arta Skuja. It introduces the theme and scripture passage that takes us through the familiar Advent story, from the angel messengers and the journey to Bethlehem, to the shepherds responding to the message and the birth of Jesus. You will read a reflection from a PWRDF partner, volunteer or staff member, followed by a guided meditation from Cheryl Barker (read or listen!). During each week, a different writer will reflect on a scripture passage and offer a prayer for each day, followed by a PWRDF story.
Su McLeod describes the weekly themes and concepts for Thread of Hope.
Our weekly themes and writers are:
First Week of Advent – Spreading the Good News
- Sunday – Lorenzo Vargas, Program Manager for Communication for Social Change with PWRDF partner World Association for Christian Communications
- Monday to Friday – The Rev. Martha Tatarnic, Diocese of Niagara, Member of PWRDF Board
Second Week of Advent – Refugees on a Journey
- Sunday – Rev. Scott McLeod, Refugee Sponsorship Coordinator for the Diocese of Niagara, and Fkadu Zeremariam, Eritrean refugee
- Monday to Friday – The Rev. Nick Pang, Refugee Sponsorship Coordinator for the Diocese of Kootenay
Third Week of Advent – Responding to God’s Call
- Sunday – Charlotte Lilley, PWRDF Youth Council and Board member
- Monday to Friday – The Rev. Nancy Ford, Diocese of Islands and Inlets/British Columbia
Fourth Week of Advent – The Word Made Flesh
- Sunday – José Zárate, PWRDF Indigenous and Latin American Program Development Coordinator
- Monday to Friday – The Rev. Cheryl Kukurudz, Diocese of Brandon
Get the resource
Fill out the subscription form below to receive your daily emails, starting Sunday, November 28. Please be sure to check your junk folder if you have subscribed and you are not receiving your daily emails.
You may also download the entire resource here. The resource is free.