Water Project- Pikangikum
Across Canada, Anglicans are supporting interim solutions for safe and accessible water in the First Nations community of Pikangikum, Ont through PWRDF.
Give towards a living gift: clean water!
- Join a national movement to ensure everyone in Canada has access to clean water.
- Watch this small sacrifice multiply into Christ’s True Presence: water and life.
Pikangikum is a First Nations community in northwestern Ontario. It came to national attention after a wave of youth suicides, which prompted a group of Toronto-based professionals to work with the Pikangikum elders and school system as the Pikangikum Working Group (PWG), which identified twelve priorities for the community. One of these is finding creative and empowering housing, water, and food solutions.
Pikangikum in the News:
The water problem
- Of the 450 homes in the community, 415 (90%+) do not have water or waste-water services.
- Surface water sources (lakes and rivers) are vulnerable to contamination, as are in-home water storage systems.
- Inadequate and decrepit wooden outhouses are used by most residents.
- Most of the present homes do not have the space or the structural integrity to support bathroom facilities.
- To provide a source of potable drinking water to Pikangikum homes, equipping the homes with a cistern to hold the water and a wastewater holding tank, as well as the necessary fixtures and fittings.
- Since 2013, over $300 000 has been raised and 14 homes equipped with clean water and waste water removal facilities so far
- Plans are underway for Phase 2 to begin in 2016
PWRDF’s Commitment to Pikangikum
A network of concerned Canadian Christians, working with PWRDF, has raised over $300,000, an amount that continues to grow. The residents of Pikangikum are already sharing in the change that this money is helping to make possible.
Download our resources to use with your parish:
- Pikangikum 2015 Bulletin inserts (195kb)(you will need to replace the term [Parish] with your parish name before printing)
- Pikangikum 2016 donation cards (55kb)
- Pikangikum 2016 In Memoriam cards
- Pikangikum 2015 Envelope Stickers (121kb) (you will need to replace the term [Parish] with your parish name before printing)
- Pikangikum 2015 Thank You Cards (155kb)
- Pimatisiwin Nipi Brochure (676kb)
- Pikangikum PowerPoint (2Mb)
Donate to the Advent Conspiracy:
For credit card donations contact:
416-924-9192 ext. 355; 1-866-308-7973
Please do not send your credit card number by email or fax.
Please make cheques payable to “PWRDF”, mark them for “Pikangikum” and send them to:
The Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund
The Anglican Church of Canada
80 Hayden Street
Toronto, Ontario M4Y 3G2
For more information and useful resources in participating in this work, contact Martha Tatarnic (firstname.lastname@example.org)